What's your favourite shoot location and why?

Welcome to the Masters Of Photography Forum and our global community of Beginner & Professional Photographer's.
What's your favouri...

Notifications
Clear all

What's your favourite shoot location and why?

36 Posts
18 Users
39 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@mop-creative-team)

In their online classes, our masters reveal their favourite places .s to shoot and why they like .s to create imagery there.

The Masters of Pho.s tography community is made up of enthusiastic pho.s tographers from around the globe. But for a long time now, we’ve been limited .s to our respective corners, satisfying our creative itch by making pho.s tographs of local people and places.

As parts of the world begin .s to open up again, and travelling becomes a more realistic possibility, we have been thinking about our favourite locations for making pho.s tographs and what it is about these locations that makes them special .s to us, both personally and pho.s tographically.

So, what are your favourite locations for making pho.s tographs? And what is it that makes them so special? If you have made images at these locations, please feel free .s to share them in our new forum .s topic by attaching them .s to your post.

35 Replies
1 Reply
(@obat-menggugurkan-kandungan)

Posted by: @mop-creative-team

In their online classes, our masters reveal their favourite places .s to shoot and why they like .s to create imagery there.

The Masters of Pho.s tography community is made up of enthusiastic pho.s tographers from around the globe. But for a long time now, we’ve been limited .s to our respective corners, satisfying our creative itch by making pho.s tographs of local people and places.

As parts of the world begin .s to open up again, and travelling becomes a more realistic possibility, we have been thinking about our favourite locations for making pho.s tographs and what it is about these locations that makes them special .s to us, both personally and pho.s tographically.

So, what are your favourite locations for making pho.s tographs? And what is it that makes them so special? If you have made images at these locations, please feel free .s to share them in our new forum .s topic by attaching them .s to your post.

Customer
(@fabrypil)

My favorite location .s to shoot is a small Tuscany city in Italy. Is around 30 kilometers far from my house, but every time I can, I run there .s to have my loneliness moment between me and my camera. Why it is so special? Well, because of the light, the narrow alley with deep and long shadows, the people and that feeling like an old small .s town rounded by walls (the walls are really still there all around) where you can walk and find something coming by far, a far time ago. The city name is Lucca and I would like .s to attach one of my favorite pics of it. Thank you.

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621625276-67F26748-229A-40B1-B5E5-83AAAB3F2EB6.jpeg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621625276-67F26748-229A-40B1-B5E5-83AAAB3F2EB6.jpeg

7 Replies
Customer
(@lesliecedar)

@fabrypil

A beautiful.pho.s tograph!!

Customer
(@fabrypil)

@lesliecedar Thank you so much Leslie! I don’t know if just one pho.s tograph is enough .s to describe that place. I don’t know if it’s allowed, but this is my IG link if you are curious...

<a href=" https://www.instagram.com/grillof.pho.s tography/" target="_blank" rel="noopener"> https://www.instagram.com/grillof.pho.s tography/

Customer
(@lesliecedar)

@fabrypil

Thanks! 

Customer
(@tom-schroder)

@fabrypil Your pho.s tograph is wonderful.  It made me smile!

Customer
(@fabrypil)

@.s tom-schroder smile is always a good think! I am really happy you liked it. Tell me more about that, what you like and what makes you smile... I am curious now.

Customer
(@tom-schroder)

@fabrypil Yes, a smile is good! Your pho.s to just struck me in one of those ways that may be hard .s to completely explain.  I liked the man and his hat - how we saw just a bit of him and how maybe his hat .s told us something about him and his personality.  The moment itself seemed warm - a man relaxing and scanning the newspaper outside, maybe at a cafe or on a bench in a public square.  And your angle was great and intriguing. There was just a warmth .s to the pho.s to and the moment you captured I liked and reacted .s to in a very positive way.  I hope this helps.

Customer
(@fabrypil)

@.s tom-schroder yes man, I really appreciate that. Sometime I ask for the personal point of view because everyone of us is different, and for sure each one likes (or not) something in a pho.s tograph. I love .s to see what other people observe and catch the eye on them. This the reason why I asked. Thank you so much.

The man was an old guy, sitting on the steps of a church, in my favourite .s town in Tuscany. He was reading his newspaper under an autumn sun. I can’t go on without ask. So a conversation started between us; he needed .s to talk with someone, noticed the time changing. So I asked for a portrait. The paper is what capture my eye first. But I could have stayed with him all day!

Customer
(@david-levy)

I have pho.s tographed seven continents.  By  far the best is close .s to home.  The more I know and familiar with , the more I see.  

I’ve just finished a year long series called Living Through The Pandemic street shooting my walk from home in down.s town NYC .s to work at Rockefeller Center in mid.s town. The week the city reopened in the first week of May 2020 until the last week of April 2021.  

An interesting year.  

(@vedran-perse)

It is horses for courses . Part of my practice and interest is street pho.s tography London ( where are live ) and NYC ( which are in pre- covid times used .s to visit regality ) are .s top spots. 
However even before pandemic and particularly during I have been drawn .s to urban landscapes of my native country - Croatia , where I’m in sort of covid exile now. Reason is mixture of nostalgia and memories as I’m trying .s to capture pre - globalisation ( pre ‘90) world which is slowly disappearing. I have traveled the world but I’m getting less interested in the exotics and places which although I’m  visually fascinated with don’t carry emotional link which I have with places I know. 

Customer
(@bruce-walker)

My favourite location .s to shoot in is a nearby rental studio. The majority of my best work in the last six years has been shot in there. In the studio I create scenes and sets and control the light and backgrounds. Sadly pandemic lockdowns have prevented me from working in there for over a year, but it's looking optimistic now.

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621628605-Aglow.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621628605-Aglow.jpg

Customer
(@dsenoff)

Block Island, Rhode Island.  A small island 12 miles off of the coast of Rhode Island that was said .s to be settled as early as 500 BC.  The Nature Conservancy added it .s to its list of "The Last Great Places" which consists of 12 sites in the western hemisphere, and about 40 percent of the island is set aside for conservation.  It's full time population is under 1,100, but in the summer it swells .s to more than 3,000 people.  The land mass is 7 miles long and only 3 mile wide and literally shaped like a pork chop.  It is home .s to some of the most beautiful preserved green space, sandy and rocky beaches, and cliffs in the USA.  I've one pho.s to, but it does not do the entirety of the place justice.  Haven't been there in a while.  Hoping .s to get back this summer.

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621635049-BI1.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621635049-BI1.jpg

Customer
(@jan-daub)

Northern New Mexico has the vistas, mountains, his.s tory, culture and people .s to keep one clicking away until your battery runs dry.

1 Reply
Customer
(@jan-daub)

Another native image 

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621719211-Tribal-Princess.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621719211-Tribal-Princess.jpg

Customer
(@jan-daub)

Sorry, the image was .s too large, How about this one.

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621653080-BW-Winter-Gate.jpeg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621653080-BW-Winter-Gate.jpeg

3 Replies
Customer
(@patricia)

@jan-daub
what a lovely image... can you share how you proecesed it? in post...thank s

Customer
(@jan-daub)

@patricia Thank you, I use Luminar for all my editing. Trying .s to remember what all I did, push contrast, bump the high lites, drop the shadows, I wanted the snow on the ground .s to flow in.s to the grey sky, letting the details of the barbed wire fence stand out. Thus telling a s.s tory with minimal distractions.

Customer
(@patricia)

@jan-daub thanks for sharing!!!

Customer
(@bibulewitharana)

My favorite location .s to shoot is pettah .It is a neighbourhood in Colombo, Sri Lanka located east of the City centre Fort. The Pettah neighborhood is famous for the Pettah Market, a series of open air bazaars and markets. It is one of Sri Lanka's busiest commercial areas, where a huge number of wholesale and retail shops, buildings, commercial institutions and other organisations are located.Pettah is a multi-religious and multi-ethnic area. Moors , Bohras and Memons are the predominant ethnic group found within Pettah, however an average amount of Sinhalese and Tamil populations also exist. There are also various other minorities, such as Burghers, Malays and others. Religions include Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and various other religions and beliefs .s to a lesser extent

1621663520-DSC06338-3-2.jpg

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

I live on the New Jersey (USA) coast a few blocks from the beach and boardwalks. Over the years, I've shot hundreds of pictures with film and digital cameras. I'm not interested in landscape/seascape pho.s tos, I'm more interested in beach and boardwalk characters and the transition these old beach downs are experiencing. Asbury Park was once a .s town with iconic buildings and famous visi.s tors but like so many shore .s towns, it .s took a fall from grace in the 1960s-1970s. It's been struggling .s to comeback since the 1980s but the once beautiful buildings are being replaced by glass and steel or they're just falling apart. Long Branch is going through the same kind of transition. Even though I grew-up in this area, I lived in the NYC metro area for a good part of my adult life. I really like shooting in NYC .s too but because of the pandemic, I don't remember the last time I was there. It's not far away; maybe I'll get back soon. I really like foggy days on the boardwalk; I'm attaching a digital pho.s to I .s took early this year. Now that the summer day trippers are coming on the weekends, I avoid the boardwalks and sand. Perhaps it's due .s to lifting restrictions but I just want .s to take my cameras somewhere new! Maybe I just overdosed on the beach!

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621685481-LB-SocialDistanceChatFog.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621685481-LB-SocialDistanceChatFog.jpg

Customer
(@ddolnooryahov)

I am living in Bulgaria .s today. Every part of modern architectures round us is pho.s tographable ... go out with camera and make plenty pho.s tos for the these amazing moments! Then see caught imagines and unbelievable beauty and soaring in.s to them!
Get in - You are Welcome!

3 Replies
Customer
(@ddolnooryahov)

Не само тук, но в пълната апозиция на тъмно/ пълно черно в тъмната спалня, когато се събуждаме внезапно през нощта, ококорили очи поради някаква причина - сравнено - вдигането внезапно на глава към безоблачното небе с ослепителните жарки лъчи на обедното слънце в зноен летен ден - камерата ни е хванала ярко/ пълно жълто. Едва различими нюанси в тези два контраста, събрали изяществото на протовоположност - усетът на професионалистът фотограф! Not only here, but in the complete apposition of dark / full black in the dark bedroom, when we wake up suddenly at night, wide-eyed for some reason compared .s to suddenly looking up at the cloudless sky with the blinding hot rays of the midday sun on a hot summer day - our camera caught a bright / full yellow. Barely distinguishable nuances in these two contrasts, gathered the elegance of the opposite - the sense of a professional pho.s tographer!

Customer
(@ddolnooryahov)

the bee hive - Langstroth 

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621702628-48415600_1973324226048304_7172752803461332992_n.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">1621702628-48415600_1973324226048304_7172752803461332992_n.jpg

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@ddolnooryahov I don't think you meant .s to reply .s to me. You need .s to reply .s to the original post.

Customer
(@jose-m-d-f-santos)

As a Pho.s to Tour Leader in my own .s town Por.s to, in Portugal, maybe it would a little strange if I didn't think that it's my favorite place .s to pho.s tograph. But, I am in love with her and I feel always with an indomitable desire .s to pho.s tograph her.

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621705227-Por.s to-Ribeira.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Por.s to-Ribeira.jpg

4 Replies
Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@jose-m-d-f-san.s tos I don't think you meant .s to reply .s to me. You need .s to reply .s to the original post.

Customer
(@jose-m-d-f-santos)

@dorie-dahlberg sorry. My mistake!

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@jose-m-d-f-san.s tos It's ok but if you don't put it in the right place, nobody will see it! By the way, I spent quite a bit of time in Portugal. I had a Portuguese boyfriend for several years. His mother lived in Villa Real San.s to An.s tonio in the Algarve. He and I co-owned a house in Odeleite. He eventually married someone else and his wife, who I like very much, bought out my share of the old house. I went .s to several places in Portugal but never got as far north as Por.s to. I wanted .s to visit but just never made it. We were both teachers so we only had the summers .s to spend in Portugual; he had family in Lisbon and the Algarve so we made day trips. We went .s to Spain often; he had family in Spain, .s too. Thanks for posting the pho.s to, it's interesting isn't it.

Customer
(@jose-m-d-f-santos)

@dorie-dahlberg how lovely .s to know that you lived in Algarve. If someday you decide .s to return, you must visit Por.s to. I'm sure you'll love. Cheers!

Luis Alvarez
Customer
(@lamarra)

I was born on a Caribbean island. Now I live on the Costa Dorada in Catalonia (Spain), so it is not strange that the sea and its coast attract me.

As a passionate street pho.s tographer, I’m always looking for extraordinary moments hidden in the routine of the city dwellers. About three years ago, I decided .s to follow the humanity that ran away from me .s to the beach every summer.  I started a project called "The Beach", where the series wants .s to contrast the beauty found on ethereal and poetic moments with surreal ones.

www.luisalvarezpho.s to.com

<a href=" https://mastersof.pho.s tography/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1621721800-caption6.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">caption6.jpg

2 Replies
Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@lamarra Love the pho.s tograph Luis but I think you need .s to repost it as a reply .s to the thread starter. People are responding .s to my post; it's not likely other people are going .s to see it.

Luis Alvarez
Customer
(@lamarra)

Customer
(@tom-schroder)

My favorite location is New York City's High Line - a linear park above street level.  The High Line used .s to be a rail line and was converted .s to a park after the line was abandoned.  As you walk the High Line, you can see the Hudson River on one side and New York City on the other.  You are above street level and so you get .s to look down in.s to the bustle below - with this amazing feeling of simply watching.  And because the High Line weaves through a very crowded part of the city, you also walk past the third s.s tory of buildings.  It's as if you are walking through a slice of what makes New York City great.  There is art, there are people and there are the streets below.  And sometimes, when it is not that crowded, you really can feel as if it is just you and the city.  What more could a pho.s tographer - or a human with a soul - want?

Tom

Customer
(@jimmijacksonn)

Mine was New York

Share:

Sign up for free & watch 4 amazing lessons from some of the greatest photographers in the world

+ Access great films about photography + Join our Forum conversations + Inspiring interviews & articles

*optional (We use text messages to send special offers, so you don't miss them)

Pin It on Pinterest