What would you like to discuss in the next forum?

Welcome to the Masters Of Photography Forum and our global community of Beginner & Professional Photographer's.
What would you like...

Notifications
Clear all

What would you like to discuss in the next forum?

24 Posts
14 Users
8 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@mop-creative-team)

Welcome to the new Masters of Photography Forum, the place for fascinating photography discussions with the Masters of Photography community. This is a new feature for the community and we'd love to know what topics you'd like to discuss in upcoming forums.

Let us know below!

23 Replies
1 Reply
(@obat-menggugurkan-kandungan)

Posted by: @mop-creative-team

Welcome to the new Masters of Photography Forum, the place for fascinating photography discussions with the Masters of Photography community. This is a new feature for the community and we'd love to know what topics you'd like to discuss in upcoming forums.

Let us know below!

Customer
(@skgowthu)

Sharing their struggle could be one topic too. Everyone at some point might have hit the wall and felt lost in their photographic journeys. Would like hear some stories of how they found back their love of photos. 

Customer
(@mrz1342gm)

Now a day, maybe same as other fields of our world, Photography become more "Imagography"! it means, using presets in editing softwares and depending on post production! Pros even are defending to shoot RAW and manipulate images to post in social medias just to get Like Therefore it is not possible to like or dislike any photos on printed magazines or in internet, digitally. Why? because you are not sure it is original shot taken by photographer with knowledge, skills or upon virtual literacy and composition rules, and based on in-camera setting and lighting, OR just shot with whatever device is available and 90% sit with your computer and start using manipulation to create an image! Photographers are shooting wedding and edit all photos based on costumers needs to show them slim, fit and beautiful, when all of them know that is fake and not true! All magazine covers are displaying angles of celebrities and when you see them face to face you don't believe what you saw and what you see! Therefore, we need to ask ourselves again, what is the boarder of reality and artificiality, Art and Tech, Photography or Imegography?! How much is allowed to use Camera with lenses and then darkroom/Lightroom techniques to create an image or straight away from camera and focusing on what we try to take to say?! ....

5 Replies
Customer
(@dsenoff)

@mrz1342gm I agree and would like to see more discussion of this, although the question of photographic manipulation is not unique to digital photography. It has been going on for years with hand coloring and negative cutting prior to printing. The advent of relatively inexpensive software and computer equipment had simply "democratized" the ability to manipulate. The various Social platforms have simply made it more prevalent.  The question for me is: do we as the viewer of photographic art have to be informed up front by the artist whether their image falls into the "manipulated" or "not manipulated" category as we are viewing the works? 

Customer
(@mrz1342gm)

@dsenoff thank you for your interest. yes of course, this topic is not new but calming from different angle would be different to clarify sides. The manipulation of images became a regular way of presenting photos even in art exhibitions worldwide! the virus of "Presets" is growing every minute in Photography industry. People like "ready made" things, not efforts to learn or practice, even for manipulation is better for them to provide them effects and they select with one click and post! that's it. that's why selling Presets became a business online and if we want to argue about this topic, this is the first group of Preset-makers" to complain I am sure. But nobody cares if we go ahead I this way, after very short time, nobody wants to do Photography as an Art, but instead taking a shot by mobile or any kind of camera no matter on which exposure setting, and then by Mobile-Adobe or hundreds of editing applications, put sky, make bokeh, change colors, add or remove items, etc etc and make an image to get like in social Media pages! in deed this attitude and social acceptance and recognition as artistic Photograph is the main dangerous Virus and not Presets! 

Customer
(@mrz1342gm)

@dsenoff and... checkout this good sample: https://www.pawel-lipski.com/online-course-v5

Customer
(@dsenoff)

@mrz1342gm I am certain that in 3 hours together with an iPhone 12, this Course will teach me all I need (or not)!  You are correct the virus is not so much post processing (which most people overdue anyway), it is Social Media likes and acceptance. Suddenly, everyone is a professional photographer (if their photos are only viewed on tiny backlit screens). Photography as we know it has not been as readily available to all since Kodak introduced the Brownie camera and made it affordable. Still, no digital sensor with adobe, luminar, or any other software, will ever produce the contrasty, inky blacks against the white of snow while at the same time preserving the details in the blacks during blue hour like a well exposed film photo on Kodak's TMax P3200 or Ilford's Delta 3200. (just my opinion). But to your point directly-- no one wants to take the time to do that because it will take time to process and scan/print that photo and in the end it will be hard to distinguish that photo on a small screen from any other B&W (digital or film) on any Social platform. It is very sad. Particularly given the terms of service of those platforms. Although you continue to own anything posted, you give them an unlimited, royalty free lifetime license to use or re-license the photo anyway they wish.  That is the true evil of these platforms for people trying to learn and make a living from legitimate photography (digital or film).

Customer
(@kvandoran)

Gentlemen, I wonder if the both of you indirectly hit on at least one of the post processing issues:  who is going to see this image?  Before the internet, you took your camera, spare batteries, and a bunch of rolls of film with you and went and shot whatever you were shooting.  In my case it was a Minolta and the mountains of New Mexico.  But hardly anyone would see the prints, so my pride as a photographer wasn’t at stake. 

as soon as you want to post them to Facebook as part of what I did on my summer vacation, now you need to be able to fix all the poorly executed images because all your friends will see them.

pride in what we try to do isn’t a bad thing in and of itself.  It’s whether we’re humble enough to acknowledge the post processing work required because our skills aren’t quite what we wish they were, or needed to be for the conditions at hand. 

Customer
(@simchaxs)

Pho.s tography came late in.s to my life. Then, about 3 years ago, it became my obsession/compulsion.

At the same time, I started noticing my eyesight getting progressively worse. I'm longsighted, and now I really struggle when  hadling the camera, the settings, and inspecting the focus is sharp. I've not encountered many pho.s tographers addressing this issue. I for one would appreciate .s to hear if others find it similarly frustrating, and what practically can be done about it...

1 Reply
Customer
(@jan-daub)

@simchaxs Yes, that is becoming a bigger issue every year. When I think an image is sharp, someone will point out fuzziness in it. What takes the edge off the not sharp comments is when I go back and look at the masters, at books of great photography, many of their images are not sharp. Has sharpness become a critical criteria for commercial work, but not so much for art work?  I think so. 

Another surprise when editing, some cheap reading glasses will actually change the tint of the colors you see on your screen. Making you see a shade of red or yellow that is not there. Frustrating. That's why I'm doing more B&W images. 

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

I'm thinking of two topics:

1. The business of photography on a spectrum: Commercial to the art end of the spectrum.

2. I learned the term fine art is reserved for art objects that exist as one: paintings, drawing, sculpture. When graphic arts (intaglio, lithographs, and editions of sculpture (bronze casting, for example) it became acceptable to create editions as fine art. Once the edition is complete, the plate, the cast, the negative is destroyed. How about a discussion on editioning - especially in our digital world and especially with photography so many images are never printed and exist only as pixels.

4 Replies
Customer
(@mrz1342gm)

@dorie-dahlberg...yes, this is one of the reasons: Data in digital monitor instead of tangeble paints on a canvas, sounds (and mostly noise) instead of real compositing music, etc... in Graphic Design still we have some artists who have commitment to real art and creating own logo, own layout, own design... instead of using free-downloaded templates, merge some and sell with copywriting trademenk! I know it is so absurd... but sadly we lost our last of nature, we convinced that McDonald's is the most delisious food in the world... and after days of fasting when our bodies will detoxified, we could understand how much is disgusting the smell of junk foods! that is why in Photography and liking or disliking a good images, I believe we need to a kind of mental detoxifying...

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@mrz1342gm By the way, I was a design major in graduate school... going to a lab to make stats!

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

@mrz1342gm It looks like we're having this discussion before the administrators decided it would be a discussion! 🙂

Customer
(@mrz1342gm)

@dorie-dahlbergNo, I registered to open this topic days ago and then administrator approved likely 🙂

Customer
(@damiani-paolo)

Because we consume some much imagery through digital devices these days, will the print become a "quaint artifact" of earlier photography?

As someone who spent much of their waking hours in a darkroom, I find this possibility disturbing, but if the art is consumed via a screen, is there still equal footing for the fine print?

Mat
(@dropusalinebabygmail-com)

Geometry. 

by the way, this forum looks broken with loads of code and/or weird characters in the text above. I am on Chrome on an iPad.

Customer
(@dorothyvbuchanan)

Canon eos rebel sl1 is described by everyone as a entry level camera what does it need so that it is not considered an entry level camera?

1 Reply
Customer
(@jan-daub)

@dorothyvbuchanan The knowledge and experience of the person pushing the shutter button changes entry level equipment to professional grade. Chasing the newest latest camera gear can never improve your images until you improve how you see.  What you are holding today is leap years more advanced than what Ansel Adams used.  That's the argument I get from my wife when I look at a new $$$ camera. She's right.

Spending our money on improving our skills is a better investment than on new gear. 

Customer
(@jan-daub)

Am always interested is feeling the finished photo side by side with the original image from the camera. How people see to edit and where they take their vision with an image is fascinating. I see this forum limits you to a single image, that would have to be changed if we were to try this topic. 

Customer
(@dorothyvbuchanan)
  1. I have just completed a lot of research about why certain cameras are considered entry level cameras. It all comes down to one issue. Any camera that does not have a full size sensor is a entry level camera. All of the other bells an whistles are not part of the decision. It would be like Ansel Adams saying any camera that does not have 8x10 plates is a entry level camera even though he owned and used 35mm cameras and made famous pictures with the 35mm

(@nugentch)

Someone mentioned that the print may soon become a "quaint artifact".  In this age of digital does anyone here still shoot film.  I'll admit that I do.  I may be accused of be a bit of a hypocrite though.  I shoot film, process it at home, and then scan the negatives into LightRoom.  Not really fully analog, but not really fully digital either.  Thoughts?

Customer
(@bangalorestudy01)

I want to discuss in the next forum is >> How to Become a Wildlife Photographer?

Nature has a lot of forms, and all turn out to be different and beautiful in their own way. Nature does wonders with its beauty, and those who master the art of capturing all those moments in their cameras can be called Photographers. Now, those who can capture wildlife in their natural settings are the ones who are called Wildlife Photographers.

Share:

Sign up for free & watch 4 amazing lessons from some of the greatest photographers in the world

+ Access great films about photography + Join our Forum conversations + Inspiring interviews & articles

*optional (We use text messages to send special offers, so you don't miss them)

Pin It on Pinterest