What photographic projects do you have planned for 2021?

Welcome to the Masters Of Photography Forum and our global community of Beginner & Professional Photographer's.
What photographic p...

Notifications
Clear all

What photographic projects do you have planned for 2021?

105 Posts
40 Users
163 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@mop-creative-team)

Undertaking personal projects in photography is incredibly important for our development as artists. Creating a project can help you to focus your ideas, concepts and passion into something meaningful and tangible. At the end of the day, a series of photographs should help you to express your vision better than single images can do. 

So what are your projects for 2021? Will you be shooting indoors? Outdoors? Have travel restrictions put the brakes on any of your projects?

Share your ideas below with the community, we'd love to hear them!

(Note: Please do not post links that promote commercial products or websites.)

104 Replies
Customer
(@michael-vincent)

I am doing a 30 day project using just my Xpro2 and the XF18-55mm “kit lens”. You can follow my journey using this hashtag #30daychallengexf1855mm on Instagram 

i am documenting my neighbourhood and community.

15 Replies
Customer
(@daniel)

@michael-vincent Good results from a simple idea (that fits in with our restrictions) - pleased to have found and followed you on IG.

Most of what I have been trying to put together over the last few months has been based on looking back over my archives and finding common themes or patterns in what I have done, looking more at accidental things rather than those more intentional photographs. It's been quite helpful - especially printing a few personal books, rather than just prints that I have always done, definitely a bit better at sequencing and series but still so much to learn of course.

I have learnt to be less "locked in" on a style or type of photography and am looking forward to some more work on portraiture and documentary rather than candid and travel over the coming year.

Best - Daniel  

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@danielhi Daniel, thanks for your kind words. This lockdown has been brutal so the need to create has been so important. If nothing else, to keep my/our minds healthy and visions fresh.

Creating a book is excellent. I think I will do the same.

Cheers

Michael

Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

@michael-vincent happy you shared this - I did restrict myself especially to have not too much that disturbed me - but to make it part of the project is a good idea thank you 

Customer
(@jirithomas-dk)

@michael-vincent: Great project! I really like your photos. Im' a fuji-user myself, and just love the colors from all of my Fujis(yes, I have too many..but I can't part with any of them😅)

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@jirithomas-dk hi thanks fir your kind words. Like you, I love my Fuji’s can’t part with mine either.Boys with toys.

🤞 good luck

Michael

Customer
(@innesgregory)

@michael-vincent

Great lines and colours...im drawn to the reds of the telephone box and green moss.

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@innesgregory thank you. The light was lovely that afternoon when I created this.

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@michael-vincent

I absolutely love this shot....takes me right there and I want to explore the neighborhood....well done. Do the book I want to see more!! Stephanie

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@ssdesigns53thank you Stephane check my hashtag #30daychallengexf1855mm on Instagram. You will see my journey for the last few days. The quality of light has changed in the last few days so this image was one of those happy moments.

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@michael-vincent

These are wonderful.....a book w/maybe some thoughtful words w/each page documenting the journey....are you in the UK? Stephanie

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@ssdesigns53yes I am Stephanie based in London

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@michael-vincent

Wonderful....love this pic....I am so homesick for UK.....I hope I can get back sometime when the air clears. I am working on a docu with guys in the UK right now, about me and my brother. So I am sure I need to get back....they are in Bristol. Stephanie

Customer
(@michael-vincent)

@ssdesigns53are you on Instagram?

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@michael-vincent

I do have Instagram but I do not post. Over here in the states there is weird stuff going on w/social media and I think I am safer staying off it. I am trying to find someone to help me re-do a new website.....alas have not found anyone who seems to understand how to do a good photo site....Stephanie

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

You can email: ssdesigns53@hotmail.com

(@sambrook)

I have zero projects and badly need one or even two! Just can’t settle on anything that motivates me! 

3 Replies
(@chrisryan)

@sambrook ..Hi Richard..well you have been a bit busy lately too..!

I often find its just a case getting back in the habit and practice of looking...dosnt need to be a GREAT project to start with ...just a kickstarter to switch your eyes on for 10 minutes a day. Nick Knight took a picture of his roses everyday...Joel  is doing a self portrait everyday..using the camera timer to catch a kinda random moment during his activity...I love still life...I made a little tiny cardboard box daylight studio in the first lockdown back in April.. It worked pretty well...and was so much fun. I'll post a link later to a really bad film i made of me setting it up and using it...Adobe asked me to self film somehting .....its not our usual production values for sure !! ha ha!

See you as soon as we are all able... for one our famous breakfasts meets!?

Chris

(@sambrook)

@chrisryan Thanks Chris! Yes I just need to start on something I know... Very much look forward to a riverside coffee when we’re allowed! R

Customer
(@lucianovranich)

@sambrook I gave the following to my camera club to create an essay of 8 photo-

A bouquet is found but it is old and flowers are dead.

Imagine how the bouquet may have got there and work back to show the beginning.

Quotes from various articles from the internet:

1 Nostalgia-that bittersweet emotion we experience when we think back to a past experience that was better than the life we’re currently leading.

2 Should we dwell in the past?

..research shows that people engage in nostalgic reverie when they’re feeling low in an attempt to boost their mood and self-confidence.

Nostalgia can be a useful tool to help us overcome challenges in our lives, help us feel connected to others when we are feeling isolated or alone, and even foster improved connections with our community.

The song “Memory” from the musical Cats is one of the most popular show tunes of our time. It’s a melancholic reminiscence of bygone glory days:

Memory, all alone in the moonlight,
I can smile at the old days,
I was beautiful then.
I remember the time I knew what happiness was.
Let the memory live again.

Hope this helps.

Luciano

Customer
(@gianni-anchois)

2021 has not started in the best way, so it's sort of difficult to plan outdoor shooting sessions. In the mean time, I have a huge amount of work to be done to complete two of my upcoming books - one about my ongoing experience of walking the Thames path from start to finish, the other about electric guitars building and setup (my other passion!).

And of course the humungous work of going through contact sheets of my last two years of shooting, editing best pictures, and running my website.

Busy - but sweet.

(@adavidmooneysky-com)

I am working on  a Covid 19 project centred around Wimbledon Common and Putney heath exploring how these urban nature spaces  are responding to the pandemic and my own response to my local.

2 Replies
GerardListon
Customer
(@gerard)

@adavidmooneysky-com  That's interesting. I've started a project about how people in Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire) have kept positive during the lockdowns, with each portrait + comment leading on to the next. My intention is to publish the series as a free online book. It follows on from a 2020 project about an Extinction Rebellion group in the same local community ( https://issuu.com/gerard-liston/docs/xrc_2020). It might be good to compare notes. 

Customer
(@nerrizaballee)

@ge what do you use to create your online book and how do you publish it? 

(@nugentch)

I am currently working on a project I call "The Rape of Appalachia".  It is a documentary series about the the strip mining and environmental impact on land where I live.  It is still in the early phases and I am still cajoling the locals to to trust me with their stories.  

4 Replies
Customer
(@carlwarren2)

@nugentch Good luck, I do some Industrial work around my town not easy to get in with locals

(@leicaguy)

@nugentchsounds worthwhile. Good luck. 

(@chrisryan)

@nugentch

Great way to raise an awareness of this industrial travesty...a story that needs to be captured told...very best of luck with it. Chris

Customer
(@ericknepper)

@nugentch I’m new to this forum and wondering how your project worked out and if you have any photos online?

Thomas Schröer
Customer
(@thomas-schroer)

Due to covid19 it is difficult to plan projects at the moment, especially when working with people. But for 2021 I plan some fineart nude and portrait shootings for further publication and probably exhibition. Let´s see if it works!

Customer
(@pjames21)

I'm finally going to give film a go.  I picked up a camera four years ago and photography has pretty much taken over my life ever since. I prefer studio portrait photography and have been lucky that my kids have come home to work from our home during lockdown - so I have someone to shoot!  

So I have managed to get to a level where I am pretty satisfied with my digital portraits though of course there is always room for improvement but I have been most impressed during my research by the effect you get from film.  So I'm going to give it a go. I've borrowed a Bronica ETRS medium format from a friend, loaded it up with Ilford film and I'm ready to go.  I also intend to do my own developing of the film, scanning and of course editing.   So who knows where it will end!  But it has been a great project so far to keep me occupied during lockdown. 

1 Reply
(@chrisryan)

@pjames21

Wonderful idea!...lovely way to return to the roots of photography ..the latent halide image...after exposure it lies there on top of the gelatine waiting..we know what it contains until we preciously process it. There's a magic chemistry and art to all steps..I miss it!

Customer
(@sayseb)

I would like very much to made a book of hundred pages, where every page has to show a number, only one number and that would be the page number. Bus number: let say 38= pag 38, Studio 54 = pag 54, racing car (Hamilton 44) = pag 44; shop window: discount 50% = pag 50, and so on! The best thing to made it around different towns, BUT, this period, so difficult to travel, big HOPE Covid 19: let me travel!

P.S. : I already made one: places showed Cape Town, London, Copenhagen, Tallin, Lisbon, Rome...just to say a few.

2 Replies
Customer
(@jirithomas-dk)

@sayseb: Absolutely fantastic idea! I actually felt envy when I read it..wish I came up with that idea! 😅

(@chrisryan)

@sayseb

I like this idea...some numbers could be overt...but some much harder to find. Roman numbers...clock like numbers..

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

When Covid hit last March I was devastated. I had a show in New York City canceled, and another local show as well, so I was at a quandary as to what I would do for months on end. Then I got an idea for a project about how ones deals with being shut inside a home and only able to look out the windows, or at objects inside the home; hence my Covid-19 project was born. I have 20 photos in that project, however three shows to show it have been cancelled because lockdowns and social-distancing are still in effect here in the US. Perhaps it will get shown after the spring. So now I have gotten an idea to do a mixed media project with photography and art about censorship. It is a big subject here in the US now. I also have a personal project around a very scary kidnapping in Mexico in 1952 that happened to me and my siblings. That will take lots of time to bring to fruition. I hope 2021 will be fruitful for all of us during the reign of Covid. I find being introspective, and expressing ideas really helps to get through the hard times and creativity bursts through the doors we leave cracked open. All the best everyone.

Customer
(@dorie-dahlberg)

I had begun a series of photographs in 2020 about entrances - mostly peculiar ways people adorn the entrances to their homes with decorations or plants. That morphed into entrances in general but sometimes what I see just doesn't cut it as a photograph. I'm a film shooter but I'm doing this as a series of digital photos, and not converting to B&W. Color has to be a part of it. I'm not being very loyal to this project, I'll admit, so I think I needed to sharpen my focus a bit more. 

Customer
(@carlwarren2)

Going forward by going backward project: working on going back to film starting with 35mm work and working my way back to medium format, then on to the alternative processes. each format explored for the next 3 years.

Other projects would be to pick just 3 film prints each year

I Will be using all tools available to me Analog and Digital
2 Replies
(@chrisryan)

@carlwarren2

Nice idea... to return to analogue wet processing when you have this time to explore it...get your hands to make the image...with water and developers ...literally creating images by hand. It's has to be a more personal and intense experience to bring your work to life don't you think?.

Customer
(@carlwarren2)

@chrisryan ,just happy to keep curious. Thank you for having this site ,may you have a safe and adveturous new year

Customer
(@stanislavjermar)
  • prepare an exhibition for shop windows in our town
  • continue photographing the Czech landscape
  • take more photos on the street
  • complete the second year of participation in the 52Frames project
2 Replies
(@chrisryan)

@stanislavjermar

Well done..you have created much to work on...and are going to be kept busy...post a link to 52frames project please.

Customer
(@stanislavjermar)

Customer
(@animotog4)

Due to my dayjob I keep changing places every 3 4 years. The place where I am right now is full of religious architectures esp Hindu temples. I am planning to cover all the temples from the tiny to the humongous ones. My target is to complete it in a year but I doubt the time frame as of now. Also I like to observe and capture moments involving people in those places. I consider this an aspect but the project is about religious places.

Customer
(@sarah)

Working at home for my day job and taking care of my shielding father means I'm not finding a huge amount of free time during the daylight hours to shoot new stuff, however, I have been cleaning up hard drives 🙂  Dull but useful.

Hoping inspiration will come over the spring so I have something to focus on during the rest of the year.

4 Replies
Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@sarah

Hi Sarah, I am sure you are really busy taking care of your father. How kind of you. Have you maybe considered documenting the care and journey you are both taking together during this Covid??? I have seen other projects that have focused on caring for elderly parents and they are very moving. Might be something to think about.. Take care, Stephanie

Customer
(@sarah)

@ssdesigns53 Thanks Stephanie, I had thought of doing that, but sadly he's a very unwilling participant. May need to go into stealth mode 🙂

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@sarah

Well stealth might be really interesting. Perhaps a shot of him napping, or looking out the window when his back is to you, or looking away from you. It is amazing when we start to focus on an idea what opportunities and surprises surface!! Stay safe, and I look forward to hearing your progress. Here is one of my shots from my Covid project; all photos were taken out the window of my home. This one is called: "Social Distancing."

(@chrisryan)

@sarah

You have an important and loving job to do right now..but inspiration will arrive ..dont stress listen to your own photographic zen bell and follow what ever calls to you...spring...and summer..and longer brighter days are ahead. Have you taken any of our classes yet? Let me know which I'd be interested to know. Best Chris

Customer
(@matteo-cancellieri)

During 2020 I tried to take at least one picture per day. In 2021 I want to go a step further and try to be more project-oriented. I am now in the process of finalising the first project of the year.

It's called Bake.Shave.Sushi and it's an exploration of my town with pictures taken in 100 randomly generated locations. You can see the project here https://www.matteocancellieri.com/bakeshavesushi/ .

I am still refining the selection, and I am adding, removing or tweaking pictures every day, but I think that the core of the project is already there.

I am not entirely sure what to do with it next, maybe I'll make it into a book?

I'll be happy to hear any feedback about it 🙂

8 Replies
Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

@matteo-cancellieri Dear Matteo, very good creation. I like the fact of choosing a site at random and after that taking it as a task to do find the picture. Well done - I shall visit your website from time to time...

(@chrisryan)

@matteo-cancellieri

Great title and idea!....how do generate the random locations? Dice? stick a pin on a map when blind fold..or some method more "digital"

Customer
(@matteo-cancellieri)

@chrisryan Thanks!

I made an algorithm for it and generated it with a small program... I am a programmer when I don't have a camera in my hand so I used the tools of the trade 🙂

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@matteo-cancellieri

Hi Matteo...would love to see these photos are they on a website or could you  post one here to see? Stephanie

Customer
(@matteo-cancellieri)

@ssdesigns53 Hi Stephanie, the project is available here. https://www.matteocancellieri.com/bakeshavesushi/  

Btw, I think you have already seen it, see your message below 🙂

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@matteo-cancellieri

Yes I realized that later....

Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

@matteo-cancellieri Just got a copy of the Book “26 Different Endings” by Mark Power. He is applying a different approach - he chose places that are just not on the London A-Z citymap. Since I came across your example I am really fascinated by the idea to choose “at random” a place and then make something good from that situation.

Customer
(@matteo-cancellieri)

@volker-dostmann I had a look at the website and it looks really interesting!

Regarding my project, in retrospective, I am worrying that the idea kind of took over the photos and if there is a way to balance that in future projects... 

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

Hi Matteo,

I had a look at your project today and I think it is very creative. A fascinating concept. I don't quite understand the formula for naming the photos, but I think it is a very clever idea. Keep going, don't give up. Well done, Stephanie

Customer
(@innesgregory)

Hi everyone...

My "Every day life project". 5 images in total.

I decided to go with detail and dominant foregrounds.

Some worked better than others.

And learned so much from planning, taking the images and finally working in post.

1 Reply
(@chrisryan)

@innesgregory

Love this...it has intense an atmosphere and a real sense of time and place.... makes my mouth water. Perhaps explore all the daily things we all do in closeup...things that are so ordinary that we forget there complexity and beauty...hands washing with soapy bubbles...shaving...putting socks on...eating an apple ...buttoning up a shirt..there's an image everywhere if you can find it..and what fun looking.

Customer
(@spako)

I have always wondered how one went about to do a project... i have done a 356 day autoportrait project once, but I never managed to come up with an original idea for a project myself. Does it give you more focus in your work or is it not restricting you in what you do? I go out into the streets at least once a week to do some street photos and i just shoot whatever I see, but sometimes I wish I were brave enough to just do a project that would take me out of my comfort zone... Any suggestions on the matter would be welcome 🙂

6 Replies
Customer
(@innesgregory)

@spako

some awesome tips in the free lessons  🤩 

https://www.joelmeyerowitz.com/online-course-free-lesson

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@spako

Hi Spako, I found when I did my Covid-19 project, locked in my home for 3+ weeks, I really had to expand my mind into seeing things as valuable subjects for my project. I needed to look around my home and find objects, give them some flare in post production, and then see the beauty that was underneath the obvious....I was amazed!!! Then I looked out the windows to see the different things that presented themselves daily.....it is amazing what we start to see when we focus our attention.....I came to grasp how much I took for granted every-day sightings, instead of realizing that there was beauty and excitement in say a tree, or two birds on a wooden fence. I shifted my consciousness allot during this project....in the end I had 20 photos for show. It was uncomfortable at the start to let go and trust my 'eye,' but I jumped in with both feet and it worked!!! The premise for my project were questions: What does a photographer do for three weeks locked in the home ? How do I take photographs if I can't go outside? How can I make mundane, every day objects in my home look interesting? And what would I see worthy of a photo looking out the windows that can relate to a pandemic? Below there is is photo of my shower curtain. Further down I posted another photo from the project . Best, Stephanie

Customer
(@spako)

@ssdesigns53 this sounds very interesting as an approach! I tend to prefer to have a human subject in my photos and in the current times it is challenging to find subjects... maybe i need to shift my focus a bit and try new stuff 🙂

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@spako

The most growth I have had as a photographer is when I try something that I feel real resistance to.....that is the clue that I need to try and believe in my ability as a photographer and my artistic eye. I think you will be amazed when you stretch....give it a go. I look forward to seeing what you discover, Stephanie. Here is laundry that I saw hanging in the common drying area where I live. My creativity went wild!! Another shot from the Covid-19 project. The red representing Covid.

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@spako

When you are in quarantine and not allowed out of the home, it is confining and no-one was walking around where I live for three weeks.....there in lies the challenge of photos without people!! Stephanie

Customer
(@matteo-cancellieri)

@spako I don't know where I read it but another way to look at a project is a process where you blocked one of the variables in taking a picture. It could be anything your subject, your camera, your focal length, your location, the weather... 

Customer
(@azehalko)

G'day mates.

I still have trouble trying to work out what I like to take but i thick I found it. A few years back I went to the butcher to buy meat for dinner bingo there it was my first inspiration for a Cryptic Food photograph, now with my monthly visit to  my Chiropractor lets my hang a new photo and in December its a Cryptic and for the patients to work out the correct answer for a one hour free massage, last year I produced 3 cryptic food photos this year I have 3 more and have 2 in the pipeline and more my ambition is to find a gallery were they can feast there minds on the culinary art of cryptic food photography. 

1 Reply
Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@azehalko

This idea sounds so interesting...can you post an example or do you have a site on line to see how you are making these photos....fascinating. Stephanie

Customer
(@richard-grando)

I have started a project about the lockdown at night in my hometown. the shops and restaurants are closed and no one is allowed on the street after 9pm. I want to photograph the feeling of loneliness and abandonment. To show how the architecture and the appearance of the market place changes when there are no more living beings.

In Germany we are not allowed to move 15 km away from home, so I have to take what I can get and photograph my home town. I have discovered how much fun the challenge can be when you are limited.

3 Replies
Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@richard-grando

This sounds like a fascinating project...I like the challenges you have. I have relatives in Germany...I did not know you were all locked down at night, that is really  hard. Night shooting is a challenge...all the best, Stephanie

Customer
(@richard-grando)

@ssdesigns53

Thank you. Let's see where it takes me. I decided to change my workflow. During the photo tour, I don't check my pictures on the screen. So It's kind of a surprise what I've got. After the tour, I take a quick look at the pictures but then I leave it as it is till March or April this year. Hopefully, I have enough pictures for my book then. 

It depends on the area in Germany. I live in an area where there are many infected people. Where are your relatives located?  

Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@richard-grando

I don't know the name of the town, I was told but I did not write it down. I do know that they are very near Bavaria, because my relative is Bavarian. Not speaking German I don't remember names etc of villages. It was very charming what I saw in photos.  Stephanie

Customer
(@azehalko)

G'day Stephanie,

Firstly I would like to apologies for not including my first name. This to me is easy but I could be wrong  I will let you know next week if your gourmand senses don't come to fruition  .

regards 

anatoli

Customer
(@azehalko)

Hello Stephanie,

How are thing on your side of the world today, did anyone get an answer to my cryptic food photo it is Barbie queue chicken

Customer
(@azehalko)

sorry  regards anatoli

Customer
(@martinj521)

My current project is transferring all my digital photos to my new NAS box (Network Attached Storage). It has built in AI (artificial intelligence) and presents you with a set of faces asking who is this. The idea is that once you name someone it will automatically name them in future photographs, very handy for family shots. Not sure about this one attached though 🙂 

2 Replies
Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

@martinj521 What kind of NAS do you use and do you combine it with Lightroom or another software? I use a rather old server setup that might need an overhaul anyway.

Customer
(@martinj521)

@volker-dostmann 

Hi Volker, it's a Synology 220+. If you look their software it has Photo Station and Moments, however they have new software in DSM7 later this year which looks ideal for both pro and hobbyist.

Don't have lightroom I'm a hobbyist so use GIMP it's free.

Ginette Sear
Customer
(@ginette-sear)

Im working on a few different projects. Some experimental, such as using my 1937 Contax ii, Canon AE-1 Programme and latterly a disposable Ilford camera with the Ilford XP2 Super 400 B&W film (I'll post one of the photographs of a young, furtive looking boy I took on this disposable camera. My main project is called 'Growth'. It's a series of photographs documenting my physical 'growth' during this most recent lockdown. An issue that has affected a lot of people who have, as a reaction to stress, eaten and drunk more than usual and have not indulged in the usual mount of physical activity. As I'm also a PT, I'm usually very lean, with striated muscles and have a vascular appearance. Now, I have over indulged to the point where I can no longer see muscular definition, I'm soft, with a layer of fat that I have not had for many, many years. I'm fascinated by the correlation between my physical appearance and mental health/mood and want to document this through photographs of my body and face, as I progress towards regaining my previous physique. I've attached the photograph taken on 20.03.21, on the Ilford diposable camera of a youth in the small, medieval market town where I live.

Ginette Sear
Customer
(@ginette-sear)

Im working on a few different projects. Some experimental, such as using my 1937 Contax ii, Canon AE-1 Programme and latterly a disposable Ilford camera with the Ilford XP2 Super 400 B&W film (I'll post one of the photographs of a young, furtive looking boy I took on this disposable camera). My main project is called 'Growth'. It's a series of photographs documenting my physical 'growth' during this most recent lockdown. An issue that has affected a lot of people who have, as a reaction to stress, eaten and drunk more than usual and have not indulged in their usual mount of physical activity. As I'm also a PT, I'm usually very lean, with striated muscles and have a vascular appearance. Now, I have over indulged to the point where I can no longer see muscular definition, I'm soft, with a layer of fat that I have not had for many, many years. I'm fascinated by the correlation between my physical appearance and mental health/mood and want to document this through photographs of my body and face, as I progress towards regaining my previous physique. I've attached the photograph taken on 20.03.21, on the Ilford diposable camera of a youth in the small, medieval market town where I live.

1 Reply
Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@ginette-sear It appears that neither of you photo links produced a photograph...I think there was an error in the up-load.

Ginette Sear
Customer
(@ginette-sear)

Hopefully this resized photograph will be okay...sorry that the .HEIC attachmnts are unusable in the above posts.

1 Reply
Customer
(@ssdesigns53)

@ginette-sear

Riveting portrait Ginette. I love the sepia tone you gave to it....adds to the mystery for me.

Ginette Sear
Customer
(@ginette-sear)

Hi Stephanie - yes, it's the first time I've posted on this site...and I made quite a hash of it. I finally got the photograph uploaded in the link above. It was taken last week in my home town - a small medeival market town on a cheap, disposable camera.

Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

well done - so far I have not been brave enough to post 🙂 Never mind. Question: How do you digitalise from the old analog in a cost wise fair manner and still good quality - any thoughts or advice?

Customer
(@roblavers)

Last year I was commissioned to photograph a beautiful stone carving inside a small country church nearby, and I became fascinated to find out who sat down 900 years ago to make it, and try to imagine the world as he saw it. The carving includes a Norman knight in armour familiar to us though the Bayeux tapestry and would have been as familiar to him as a policeman today but the rest of the carving harks back to pre-Christian lore and beautiful Saxon artistry and it is this latter that I decided to explore in photography; virgin forests still covered much of the land and was a source of food, medicines and building materials but populated in imagination by benevolent and malevolent spirits and strange creatures so flicking in a moment from a bucolic idyll to being dark and threatening with the sudden fear of being lost. Twenty-first century Britain has few traces of such forests left but there are still corners of woodland where I can try to evoke that same spiritual sense that inspired those long-forgotten artists.

(@nugentch)

In a little over two weeks I will be traveling to Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona in an attempt to photograph some of the members of the polygamists group known as the FLDS.  This is a relatively secretive group, but they have been photographed before.  I don't have a lot of time to spend there... but it's Utah and I should get at least some great landscapes! 

Customer
(@david-levy)

I am going to try and create my first real book.

I live in NYC, and when my business re-opened in May 2020 I walked to and from work every day from downtown where I live to mid-town where I work. I took thousands of street shots, with the idea of preserving the images and feelings of New Yorkers living through the pandemic.   I was inspired to do the book thanks to the Joel course I took here.  During lockdown I was also moved by Erik Larson's book The Splendid and the Vile that documented the year of the Nazi bombing of London - a story of leadership and resilience.  And finally, as an epidemiologist, I wanted to document what ordinary life was really like: I tried hard but couldn't find many images of the 1918-19 pandemic in NYC. 

I've narrowed the images to about 100, and are mostly chronological for one year - May 2020 through April 2021.

Let's see....

Customer
(@m111mmh)

I keep trying to find a style that's works for me, I like mixing things up tell me if its wrong or Wright thanks

1 Reply
Customer
(@volker-dostmann)

@m111mmh Capa said, if your picture aint good then you were not close enough. I did struggle with that a long time until I understood that it means also emotionally close enough. So when I look at the picture I can see a lot of empathy. You shall be the judge. I think it is done very well!

Customer
(@azehalko)

What a great photo m111mmh you have done yourself proud, I love it went someone steps out of their comfort zone, but you are the only one who can say if it great or not.

As I always say "there is no bad photo just bad judges" anatoli zehalko

Customer
(@m111mmh)

so kind thank you I am told my work is too dark, so thanks for your kind words

Customer
(@lorraine-spittle)

Iv just been awarded My Associate in applied and portraiture photography from the Royal photographic society, My  successful panel was about the interaction between humans and their dogs, be they Pet, working , or assistance dogs .I had  such a good feed back from many different photography sites Im thinking of making a book on this subject Iv lots and lots of images on this subject it would be such a same not to make use of them .I also had to write a statement of intent to go along with  the panel .

Customer
(@m111mmh)

so right or wrong close or far

1 Reply
Customer
(@lorraine-spittle)

@m111mmh  Sorry I don't understand ?  Please explain your comment

Customer
(@m111mmh)

so right or wrong close or far

Customer
(@marc-weller)

Hi all, i am pressing the reply button as i do not know how to start a new thread—just wanted to introduce myself as a new participant. Apologies if i am intruding in someone elses conversation. How does one start a new conversation please? Kind regards to all, Marc

1 Reply
Customer
(@daveviens)

@marc-weller Hello Marc.  I am new here, too -- just four days -- and I am taking the Joel Meyerowitz class.  What about you?  I hope it's going well.  Nice to meet you.

Dave

Customer
(@daveviens)

It's getting on in the year since this topic was started, but here goes:  

Before I even began the Masterclass with Joel Meyerowitz, I had an idea for a "farmer's market" project. I like the dynamic of people and produce and crafts and sometimes music all together.  The vibe is usually happy and relaxed, laid back, and not as hectic as a big-city street scene  

In the Spring of this year, I started the project with a local urban market and it went so badly I quit right away.  The covid pandemic rules had restricted entry to the market proper except by waiting in a long, slow-moving line to gain entry, so I tried to shoot from outside, on the perimeter, with a telephoto lens.  I was yelled at and confronted from afar by some vendor within the market who claimed I was not allowed to take her, or anyone else's, picture; that photography was not allowed; etc..  I left demoralized and discouraged even though I had "stood up" for my rights to be where I was, doing what I was doing.  The experience was altogether negative.

Fast forward to now, after watching just a few of JM's lectures.  I changed my whole approach, engaged with people directly, smiled and interacted with strangers ( I am usually a reserved person in public), and the whole scenario turned around 180 degrees.  The project is now back "on" and I hope to continue it long enough to put together a book, and make a few choice prints.

We'll see how it goes. I posted one image of the market expedition on the student photo stream. 

-Dave

https://learning.mastersof.photography/photostream/#pop-124361

Customer
(@pamungkasgendeng44)

i want to do something different, traditional market session

regards,

Prediksi Parlay

Customer
(@muslihaaeniy)

Hi, I’m Sunita. I’m an Blogger and living Delhi City India. Saya seorang pelajar.

Customer
(@kvandoran)

Updating a bit, for 2024…I don’t actually have a clue.  This is such a great question that if taken very seriously, causes one to actually think about what they want to try do do or learn.  I’d like to go to far west Texas or eastern New Mexico and work at images of the flora and fauna in the fairly arid areas found there.  Or so I say.  Maybe I want go because I really enjoy that environment, not sure which. 

Share:

Sign up for free & watch 4 amazing lessons from some of the greatest photographers in the world

+ Access great films about photography + Join our Forum conversations + Inspiring interviews & articles

*optional (We use text messages to send special offers, so you don't miss them)

Pin It on Pinterest